Digging Deeper into Lesson 13
The Power of Believing: Head to Heart Guide
This tree can be known by its fruit! Sometimes it helps to see the entrenchment of a stronghold—and unbelief is an unusually well hidden one—by the way other negative emotions gravitate around it. Remember, behind the negative emotions, the unseen tempters are at work to snare us. Let the Holy Spirit show you if you have entertained spirits related to unbelief.
1) Doubt that comes from a spirit of doubt is different from simply questioning or searching out a matter. This kind will “pounce” upon your feelings and throw you into a state of confusion—rendering you anxious and unable to resolve the question or situation that triggered it.
2) Intellectual pride esteems too highly one’s own understanding and this can easily become an unwitting God blocker when up against His higher ways (Isa 55:8-9).
3) Religious spirits are very deceptive. Watch out for these. They will make you feel like you are full of faith, while stealing your joy and making you critical of others. You will be walking around with an invisible pulpit in front of you, or speaking like you wrote the Bible, making everyone run for cover.
4) Arrogance wants to have an opinion on everything and have it accepted by everyone.
5) Rebellion will not submit to the truth that God’s Word is declaring whenever it conflicts with deeply held personal beliefs or strongly felt emotions.
6) Control would prefer to hold on to past understandings (even if they are proven to be wrong or unfruitful), rather than let go and let God’s Word lead the way. Such control is fear-based, not Spirit-led.
7) Fear of all kinds is rooted in unbelief. Otherwise we would all relax and trust God—just as we were doing before a spirit of fear ambushed us.