Meditations on Lesson 8
Beholding the True Image: Head to Heart Guide
Why couldn't we look upon God in the past? Why can we look upon God now?
"But," he said, "you cannot see my face; for man shall not see me and live." Exodus 33:20 ESV
Think back over what the image of God and of man were like:
1) Before the Fall—what might their "knowing" of God have been like for adam and Eve--before they lost sight of His true Image?
2) After the Fall—what image of “human nature” began to appear in Adam’s children? Whose image does it really belong to?
3) After the Flood—what were the images of false gods that began to be worshipped? What did they look like? What did they personify (what "human" traits did they represent)?
4) After the Law—why were images of the true God not allowed in synagogue or temple? What carved images were allowed?
5) After the Incarnation—why are images of God allowed in churches now?
What has your own journey been like in terms of any distorted images of God that you may have had to deal with? Has your image of self been affected by these distorted images of God? Or vice versa? How did the Lord work to clear up their distorted images? How free is your heart (not just your mind) to continually hold the true image now?
Return to Beholding the True Image: Head to Heart Guide for more ways to go deeper into these truths or stay "on course" by going to the...