Renunciations and Affirmations for Lesson 8
Beholding the True Image: Head to Heart Guide
Renounce any agreements with untruth; believe Jesus’ truth as your new way of life. (John 14:6)
The 5 vital requirements for growth do not automatically transform us. All Christians need to stay actively involved with all five of these requirements for growth. But we would be wise to understand that they are not fool proof or automatic ways of becoming like Christ.
These necessary, very wholesome, elements of our discipleship can actually be used by the enemy to draw us away from our place of surrender into pride, complacency and self-righteousness. We can do these as ritual or routine—but beholding Jesus through them transforms us!
1) Bible study—the Pharisees knew the scriptures, but many couldn’t recognize Him.
2) Prayer—the publican prayed even longer than the sinner, but left unchanged.
3) Worship—Lucifer led worship, but got his eyes on himself instead of Jesus.
4) Fellowship—it can be superficial or supernatural. Who do we see in our midst?
5) Service—can easily become a work of the flesh. We serve in Him and unto Him.
Repent of and renounce any of the ways that these five necessary disciplines may be building self-righteousness in you. Then pray for God to help you learn to guard the Image of God inside your heart (Proverbs 4:23).
Father, I renounce trying to change myself by my own efforts. Only by beholding Jesus am I actually transformed. Make me aware of those times when my heart turns away from beholding Him. Help me cast down all false images of myself, of others and of You. By Your grace make me willing to be made willing to surrender everything to You.
Return to Beholding the True Image: Head to Heart Guide for more ways to go deeper into these truths or stay "on course" by going to the...