Five Steps To Inner Peace
But You Have To A.C.T.! Fast!
This article on five steps to inner peace is an introduction to "Matters of the Heart," our free eCourse for spiritual growth and emotional transformation. The 24 Main Healing Lessons from the course can be found in the downloads section in PDF and MP3 formats. They are also available in our Store as an ebook, a 176 page workbook and as CD and DVD sets of 24, 1/2 hour teachings.
Reconnect Quickly with Jesus!
The key to our life in Christ is trusting and obeying Jesus. This would be easy if God let everything go just the way we want it to! The tricky part of the spiritual life is learning to grow your faith in adverse situations. We have to be willing to trust God with everything that happens and everyone we love, or we will lose His peace and become disconnected from Him. The enemy is always seeking to provoke that kind of disconnect. What are you going to do about it when you notice the peace of Christ slipping away from you? You have to A.C.T.! fast to get it back!
Next time you need to reconnect better with the Lord, take these five steps to inner peace:
1) A.—Admit. Have you got a problem going on? Is something disturbing your inner peace? Then admit it! It could be something going on in the outer world of people and events that surround you, or in the inner world of attitudes and feelings inside you. Either way if it is causing you to lose the peace of Christ, you have a spiritual problem. What are you going to do about it? Deny it? Blame it on someone else? Work like crazy to try to solve it in your own strength? Why not just go to God and admit that you are getting disconnected from Him? Admit that you can’t fix you and you can’t fix the problem, otherwise you would be enjoying His peace.
2) C.—Call. Now that you are recognizing the loss of Christ’s peace as the underlying problem, call on His Name! What are you waiting for? Jesus is more eager to restore you to His peace than you can possibly imagine. He died so that you can live in His peace 24/7. He says that nothing can take His peace from you. You have stopped trusting Him—that’s why you’ve lost His peace. He doesn’t hold that against you. So call on Him to help you with whatever the problem is, but especially call on Him to help you be restored to trusting Him with the problem. Go boldly to His throne of grace and receive His mercy and help.
3) T.—Trust. The key to getting the peace of Christ back is learning how to trust God with whatever just happened. You need to believe in a promise of God that is bigger than the problem you are looking at—otherwise you will get stressed or depressed about it. Intentionally grow your faith by grabbing hold of His promises: “I will never leave you or forsake you; No weapon formed against you will prosper.” Put His truths into faith statements: “Even in this God is loving me perfectly and making it work for my good.” God’s truths are the truth, but you have to be willing to bet your life on them!
4) A.C.T.—Act. Now it is time to put steps A, C and T together and act. Don’t be passive—this is war! You have an enemy who is seeking to disconnect you from trusting your God. God only knows what further mischief will happen if he can get you to also stop obeying Jesus! So, go to the Lord in prayer seeking to follow His guidance. Sometimes He may say “Be still and wait.” Sometimes you will have to deny yourself in order to follow Him. At other times He may show you some easy steps you can take that will have His peace upon them. A good rule of thumb is, “If in doubt wait, it out; if clearly led, go ahead.”
5) !—Rejoice. Before you even see results, start thanking Jesus by faith that His promises are true. Rejoice that He is with you and that He is already working on what you have committed to Him. Thank God that the very thing that the enemy was using to disconnect you from Jesus, is now being used to draw you closer to Him.
Now that your peace is restored, enjoy the flow of it. Our new life in the Spirit is meant to become a river of peace as we learn the way of trusting and obeying our all-purpose Savior. Just keep a weather eye out for fresh storms on the horizon. They are sure to come. And when they do, what are you going to do?
A.C.T.! fast to reconnect
with the peace of Christ!
Interested in Going Deeper?
Consider taking our free eCourse for Healing. We have designed a complete series for personal transformation, "Matters of the Heart," to help Christians gain emotional freedom and inner healing. In all there are 24 Main Healing Lessons and 24 Head to Heart Guides to help you bring your heart to God and receive His Great Heart for you in return!