Is Emotional Healing Possible?
These 5 Ways Really Work
This article answering the question, 'Is emotional healing possible?' is an introduction to 'Matters of the Heart,' our free eCourse for spiritual growth and emotional transformation. The 24 Main Healing Lessons from the course can be found in the downloads section in PDF and MP3 formats. They are also available in our Store as an ebook, a 176 page workbook and as CD and DVD sets of 24, 1/2 hour teachings.
Your Emotions Can Be Healed!
Perhaps you've been devastated by a recent loss or you suffer from abuse in the past. Maybe your heart is hurting and you just don't know why. Most likely you're simply 'roughed up' by the hard bumps of life! Have you ever wondered, 'Is emotional healing possible? Can I ever get over the things that have bruised and broken my heart?'
The answer is yes! There are five ways God gives us that are practically guaranteed to mend anyone's emotional pain. They really work, but we have to be willing to work them!
1) Give God your tears. A sudden eruption of tears over remembered pain, can feel like a reproach: 'You mean I'm not over this yet?' We may think that tears are part of the problem. In truth they are a God-graced part of the solution.
Think of tears as 'liquid prayers' and you will see them in their true light. From infancy we hated to cry and not be heard. We all need someone to care--or we can't release the burden we are carrying. The beautiful thing is that our God says He is just that One who cares! Give your tears to Him--He is listening!
2) Forgive the ones who wounded you. This doesn't come easily. Sometimes it seems downright impossible, but the truth is, it is as doable as it is necessary. We may dig in our heels with heated arguments, seeking to excuse ourselves from doing it, but the pain will never go away until we forgive. Forgiving is giving the pain to God and trusting Him with it.
I once helped a man forgive three men who had nearly hacked him to death with machetes. For ten years he lived to find them and kill them. He was unafraid of going to jail--he was already imprisoned within his darkened heart. Fortunately, he chose to forgive them and became a free man once again that very day.
3) Seek the prayers of others. If we want to mend we have to risk exposing our wounds to the light. 'Secrets' are a breeding ground for spiritual infections! This divine remedy means finding a trustworthy friend but it also means going to them with the right purpose in mind. The wisdom of scripture advises us to confess our own sins to one another and pray for one another 'that we may be healed.' It does me very little practical good to confess the wrong done against me, unless I am prepared to ask my friend to help me forgive the one I'm angry with! A good friend will help us bring our heart to God the right way.
A friend can also pray for us in ways we simply cannot. Their heart for us enables them to draw on their faith and that gives their prayers true wings; whereas our own broken heart often holds our faith hostage to self pity or despair.
4) Believe the promises of God. Few things have worked in my life better than this one, but I had to fight hard to gain the ability. When we have been greatly wounded by life, it is naturally very hard to trust the One that we believe should have kept us safe from such disasters.
In order to bridge the gap, God gives us promises of restoration: 'I am with you. I love you. I am going to make this work for your good.' That last one I affectionately call the 'magnificent promise' for I had to hang my whole tormented life upon it for the longest time in order to hope that a better day was coming. And it did!
5) Position for divine interventions. God being God, it should come as no surprise that there is nothing we can do to force His Hand. Nevertheless, He invites us to seek Him where He can be found and to seek Him first that all other good things may be added in.
I have known people who were healed by words of scripture that seemed to 'come to life' just for them. Others had their hearts mended through a God-breathed dream. Still others have been set free by supernatural visitations from the Lord Himself. My point here is that all of these friends were walking with the Lord seeking Him in the usual ways. Then grace happened. You know where He can be found. Drag yourself there if you have to--until duty becomes a delight. Grace wants to drop in on you too!
Are there more ways? I have been helping people (including myself) find healing through these proven means for over 30 years. I know of no other ways. My advice? Don't give up on these God-graced ways.
They really work - if you work them!
Interested in Going Deeper?
Consider taking our free eCourse for Healing.We have designed a complete series for personal transformation, 'Matters of the Heart,' to help Christians gain emotional freedom and inner healing. In all there are 24 Main Healing Lessons and 24 Head to Heart Guides to help you bring your heart to God and receive His Great Heart for you in return!