Keep Your Heart on Pilgrimage
A Check List for Freedom in the Journey of Life
This teaching on learning how to keep your heart on pilgrimage is a practical application that companions the lessons set forth in "Matters of the Heart," our free eCourse for spiritual growth and emotional transformation.
All scripture citations are from the English Standard Version (ESV) unless otherwise noted.
Put these "Tools" in Your Knapsack
This portion of our teaching comes down the road as you exercise faith to believe for freedom even under attack and keep pressing forward. Emotional freedom is the ability to know with confidence that God loves you, is present with you and is eager to help you - no matter what you are feeling, or going through.
Our life is a journey, but our heart is also “set on pilgrimage” to recover an established faith in the truth of who our God really is--and through that graced connection, discover joy daily in our relationship with Him.
Blessed is the man whose strength is in You, whose heart is set on pilgrimage. As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a spring; the rain also covers it with pools. They go from strength to strength; each one appears before God in Zion. Psalm 84:5-7
Twelve Rules of the Road
1) Our journey takes flight as we begin to really cultivate a love for Truth. A heart on pilgrimage LOVES learning the truths of God and rejoices at what believing truth does on the inside of us.
Your statutes have been my songs In the house of my pilgrimage. Psalm 119:54
2) Stay focused on truth. Walking out these teachings is a process of renewing our minds (Romans 12:1-2).
...that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit of your mind... Ephesians 4:22
3) Resist stronghold thinking Remember to take every thought captive to Christ.
For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ... 2 Corinthians 10:4-5
4) Know the tricks of the enemy - practice separating the person from the sin (remember Romans 7)!
Judge not, that you be not judged. For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. Matthew 7:1-2
5) When you fail, apply the steps to freedom - seek the refreshing that comes by repentance.
Come, and let us return to the LORD ... Let us know, Let us pursue the knowledge of the LORD. His going forth is established as the morning; He will come to us like the rain... Hosea 6:1-3
6) Forgive yourself, rise in faith and press forward.
Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13-14
7) Be willing to go into the fire - don't "waste your trials" by running from them - stand fast. Do it afraid, if you have to, but keep doing it.
Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1-2
8) Refuse to accept programmed behavior coming out of your past--you are a new creation (see also Colossians 3:3-5).
Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh [not even ourselves]... Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. 2 Corinthians 5:16-17
9) Don't make an idol of your illness, addiction or issues. God is always sending good gifts into our lives - focus on them.
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. James 1:17
10) Give yourself and the Lord time. God is working even when He doesn't seem to be.
For we walk by faith, not by sight. 2 Corinthians 5:7
11) You are not alone - stay in fellowship with believers who are also on pilgrimage (Hebrews 10:24).
Therefore comfort each other and edify one another... 1 Thessalonians 5:11
12) Behold Him! Stay in the grace of believing that His love and mercy for you will never fail-- look to see Him as He really is.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9
Review these Two
Negative Emotions We can learn to live as sovereigns over our feeling system.
The Disciple's Cross Two crosses save us - no life can be fully mended without both.
Life Application (52-page eBook)
The Journey Forward (this article)
Interested in Going Deeper?
Consider taking our free eCourse for Healing. We have designed a complete series for personal transformation, "Matters of the Heart," to help Christians gain emotional freedom and inner healing. In all there are 24 Main Healing Lessons and 24 Head to Heart Guides to help you bring your heart to God and receive His Great Heart for you in return!